Monday, May 21, 2012

Lots To Do

Alright, I've been home for a good two weeks finally, and I think I'm starting to get used to things again. There's still so much to do, I've been running every-which-way, trying to unpack in-between everything,  plus seeing friends... There's just a lot going on. If the lack of activity hasn't told you as much.


But anyway, on to something good:
Some awesome news~

I went to a physical rehabilitation center called Airrosti in San Antonio, staying at a wonderful friend's house meantime.
Airrosti was is a wonderful, fantastic Godsend~! :heart:
They were able to help diagnose, treat, and give me a home program to work on in the time space of about a week.
Check that - one barking week.
I've been trying to get this thing with my arms figured out for about 2 years now...
I am eternally grateful for the power of faith, prayer, and awesometastic doctors who know what they're doing.

So, I never got a specific 'term' for what went wrong with me, but basically I do too much desk-type work. My shoulders tend to be inwardly rotated because of it, making it harder on my forearms to rotate outward for gripping and other such movement. Usually, with exercise and such, this works itself out, or simply gives minor aches and pains that most people don't think about. But with my week of over-doing everything, I'd overblown it, and twisted up my fascia, the thin covering over all muscles. Unfortunately, this fascia also doesn't get a lot of blood supply, so healing is really slow, sometimes doesn't even happen if it's not helped.
A wonderful doctor at the Airrosti center was able to figure that out after a few minutes of prodding and pulling and discussion. He also has a chiropractic degree. So we set up to get the treatments I needed done in just a few visits, 4 or less is pretty much their goal for treatment visits anyway.

I'll admit, there were many-a-time while he was pushing and massaging my muscles that I held my breath for pain, sometimes subconsciously, but he kept talking the entire time, so I had something else to focus on and reply about. After the treatment, though, I would feel much more relaxed. Then off to the gym for learning what I needed to do on my own time. Got some flex-bands, a lacrosse ball (those things are dense!), and knowledge. Then I ice my arms afterwards.

I continue to do the exercises on my own, and did them between treatment days as well. What was exceedingly wonderful, was that I started noticing a lengthening in my stamina even just after the second visit! The third (and last) visit, I and the doctor agreed that I had practically doubled the strength in my right hand~

I... still find it kind-of hard to believe. But yet it's there.

Now, I'm not back to full strength, and I'm still trying to do my exercises a couple of times a day to get that back. I am getting better.
Wow... I never thought that sentence could have so much power. But it's true. I am. And I will continue to.


I've also started working full-time at the Humane Society~ Tis very tiring, but good fun and work at the same time. Lots-o-dogs and cats, numerous puppies and kittens coming in and going out at rather consist pace.


To help me keep up with the exercising in the mornings, before I head to work, I've finally started an awesome show called Once Upon A Time, from ABC. I watch it whilst doing my exercises. I am really loving the show thus far!

Anyway, still in the midst of doing a lot of things, and trying to get to writing on top of it! Not to mention all the books I want to read.... So I'm off to transfer some notes from notebook to the computer.

I'm also uploading a number of pictures from my San Antonio trip to my deviantart account. We went to the Botanical Gardens, and I couldn't help but get a bit carried away~

Anyway, I'll try to find time to update more often! Although, less 'social' stuff is going to be happening because I'm back home now, I've always got tons of stuff planned to keep me busy. Well, actually, I plan them to get them done, but they tend to keep me busy.
Anyway.
Talk again later~

1 comment:

  1. Great news about your arms getting better! I could probably use some treatment. My forearms get very sore if I play the piano and/or type or garden for very long.
    I just wanted to say that Me an my girls- Alyssa, Bridget and Cally LOVE the Once upon a Time series also. Can't wait to see how it all ends!

    ReplyDelete