Friday, March 30, 2012

Lighter Future

For my head, at least, that's for sure! I donated a bit over 12 inches of hair to Locks of Love~

Before:

After:

I love it!! It's so light, and free, and... fwooshy~ <3 Tis so wonderful! I like the (lack of) weight it has, I've got a few layers in as well, and I can still pin/pull it back if need be. Summer is going to be a lot easier without that monolith of hair I had before!
Don't get me wrong, I liked it well enough - I just don't have the time or patience to learn how to put it up nicely on a regular basis.
I am now, occasionally, "Short-Haired Poof." :D


Another big thing; bigger, actually: I got to go to a Creative Writing Workshop by Orson Scott Card!! >w<
Now, albeit I've not read any of his books, but I've heard great things about him, and know the general type of things he does, as well as have read a few bits and pieces here and there of his work. I was rather impressed with him in person, as well! He and some other writers got together for the workshop - Aaron Johnston, James Maxey, and Edmund R. Schubert. Card presented in the morning, the others split some of the afternoon, and then they did a joint forum Q&A session at the end.

Most things discussed were basics, but Card really helped open my eyes to how much knowing a second language can help one understand how grammar works, since it's not really addressed much in schools with English. (or at least, not remembered near as well)
If you're wondering what that says, it's "How to write your brains out and still have a life." This was Aaron.
Heh... I need to better learn this one...
Maxey here; one of his slides showed a rough estimate about how eBooks have literally shot up in sales remarkably fast. He mentioned that the eBook is great, if your stuff sells, and how a lot of other people are catching on that it is a big market, and therefore the crowded place it is becoming. He mentioned that a good portion of eBooks may not sell 5 a month, and therefore eBook-ing may probably not be a great option. However, it just made me remember how awesome Limbo's Child is, and realize how many other people must realize that since it had sold over 500 copies from November till January!
That reminds me, Limbo's Child is now available in print!! Yes, it's more expensive, but you're paying for a physical copy rather than simple data that can be stored in a space smaller than your hand. It looks fantastic; I don't have one (as of yet), but I've seen a picture or two, and just kept repeating excitedly "It's in print! It's in print!". Then, my roommates came back in.... XD'
BUT STILL.
It's in print, if you find that easier or more comforting than the electronic version~
http://jonahhewitt.blogspot.com/2012/03/book-now-available-on-amazon-in-print.html <- the blog post about it~

...back to the workshop~
Schubert. He's more on the editorial side, and is quite knowledgeable about what kinds of things magazines accept, how to go about writing query letters (which I didn't even know existed), and similar such stuff. He's also head editor of that site behind him, which was started by Orson Scott Card and is still connected with him.

It's all of them! Yaaaay!
Really was an amazingtastical day~

AND, to top that off, I got to talk personally with Orson Scott Card after the workshop~ Sure, only for about 15 minutes or less, but still!! I wrote 5 pages of a story and submitted it to a decision-maker who decided who would get to talk with him. A number of those people were chosen, and I was one of them!
He didn't get it but from me in the room, so he got to read about a page and a half or so of it. Basically, he told me to try not to be so cinematic/detailed about everything and get to telling the story~ XD' I tend to be rather intricate about details, so I understand that. BUT, he said he was interested to see where the story went! And he didn't even get to a more interesting part!
So that makes me happy~
Very happy~
CB


Well I gottta go to a Doctor Who Club meeting, so I'll try to remember to talk more later!

No comments:

Post a Comment